Advancing gender equality and female empowerment – The opportunity for Vietnamese manufacturing
Advancing gender equality and female empowerment – The opportunity for Vietnamese manufacturing is a session discussing the importance of gender equality and female empowerment in global supply chains.
The session will allow manufacturers and food processing sites to share experiences, challenges and best practices.
ELEVATE will also showcase the learnings and best practices from the Mekong Sustainable Manufacturing Alliance (The Alliance). The event will bring together brands and factory representatives to cross-feed knowledge around the opportunities and solutions to create a good employment journey.
The Alliance is funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), and addresses the critical and increasingly urgent need to transform ESG practices in the Mekong manufacturing and food processing sector to avert deleterious environmental and social impacts that will result from rapid industrial growth. The Alliance, implemented by the Institute for Sustainable Communities (ISC) in partnership with ELEVATE, and the Asian Institute for Technology (AIT), tackles these challenges head on using a market-driven approach to advance ESG improvements.
Session topics will cover:
- The importance of gender equality and female empowerment
- How to approach the topic in factories
- Best practices, tools, and current programs Brand and Factory sharing on initiatives, success stories and challenges
- Panel discussion
- Sarah Obser, Associate Director, ELEVATE
- Richard Welford, Visiting Professor, SASIN
- Phuong Tran Thi Minh, Senior Manager, Employee Relations & Sustainability, Crystal Martin Vietnam
The event aims to discuss the importance of gender equality and female empowerment in Vietnam’s manufacturing and food processing supply chain, including trends, challenges, and opportunities. The sessions will also share brands’ commitments and support, factories’ best practices and public sector initiatives. The best practices sharing will provide insights from the activities currently implemented by The Alliance in Vietnam.
- 10:00 – 10:05: Opening
- 10:05 – 10:15: ELEVATE insights in the region: What worker’s voice tells us
- 10:15 – 10:35: The importance of gender equality and women empowerment
- 10:35 – 10:55: Factory Sharing: Initiatives, Success Stories and Challenges – A case study from Crystal Martin
- 10:55 – 11:25: Roundtable Guided Discussion / Q&A
- 11:25 – 11:30: Recap and closing remarks
- 11:30: Event end
About the Organizers
The Mekong Sustainable Manufacturing Alliance (The Alliance)
The Mekong Sustainable Manufacturing Alliance (The Alliance) implemented by Institute for Sustainable Community (ISC) in partnership with ELEVATE and AIT, uses a market-driven approach to strengthen sustainable and competitive manufacturing by engaging the private sector, catalyzing market forces, and advancing innovative regional initiatives that will increase the adoption of Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) standards. The Alliance also supports USAID’s Corporate Clean Energy Alliance (CCEA), a partnership with business leaders facilitating the rapid deployment of state-of-the-art clean energy technologies and developing viable business models and policy frameworks that drive the transition to low-carbon economic growth across Southeast Asia.
The Mekong Sustainable Manufacturing Alliance (The Alliance) is supported by the USAID Regional Development Mission for Asia.